[kj] Pete Townshend, musical scholar and taxonomist: "The Police are punk rock"

ade ade at the-lab.zetnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 17:27:32 EDT 2007

Classic Cock.

-----Original Message-----
From: gathering-bounces at misera.net
[mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net]On Behalf Of Alexander Smith
Sent: 27 March 2007 21:39
To: ade at the-lab.zetnet.co.uk; A list about all things Killing Joke (the
band!)
Subject: Re: [kj] Pete Townshend,musical scholar and taxonomist: "The
Police are punk rock"

As I told Oliver on MySpace, to be fair, the Police initially aspired
to be a Punk band, but would be the first to admit that they were
never legitimate in that capacity. Still, "Fall Out," "Nothing
Achieving" and "Dead End Job" do a reasonable approximation of `77-
era buzzsaw angst.

By the same token, when I hear the term "classic rock," I'm more
inclined to think of bands like Traffic and Cream and Derek & the
Dominoes and the Allman Brothers and largely yawnsome crap like that
(although I actually like a bit of Traffic).

Whatever. Much like, say, their old pals in XTC, by the end of their
span, the Police had largely excised anything that was especially
punky about themselves. Still, they never made a bad album, as far as
I'm concerned -- Sting's utter prickishness notwithstanding.

Alex in NYC