[kj] OT Re: Dead Kennedys in brouhaha of Tarantino film use of "TooDrunk ...

CEPLASTER at aol.com CEPLASTER at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 00:01:54 EDT 2007

I had forgotten about that levis add mess. That situation definitely
seemed much more like whoring out the songs to the highest bidder kind of thing.
In the case of this Tarantino movie it seems like more of a legit pairing to
me.
On the more pragmatic side of things, as someone who knows plenty of
starving musicians, the idea of having someone pay you a big chunk of
change for the use of a song is pretty tempting, considering how most bands are
being sheisted (sp?) out of their money on a regular basis ( EG records, ha
ha). The Buzzcocks guys probably made more from those car adds than they did
from back catalog sales. Considering how they've been copied and
plagiarized over the years, they more than deserve a good payday. So while I
totally appreciate the artistic aspects of selling out to "big business", you've
also got to appreciate how hard it is to make a living being any kind of
artist. I guess I'm kind of caught in the middle of this one.
As far as Jello is concerned, I feel like there's more to this
squabble than meets the eye. I think if he was THAT concerned about artistic
integrity maybe he would have never made any LARD records, just kidding.
Ultimately, it's just a drag that these guys have so much animosity towards each
other, it would be good if they could get past it and move on. -
Carl P

P.S. Does anybody know what the f--- is up with Killing Joke? This off
topic stuff only holds your interest for so long.