[kj] KJ logo

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 24 06:45:25 EDT 2007

Regarding the fantastic KJ "Hammer & Sisckle" logo --

Dude, that's one of my fave JK logo for ages! It appears briefly on the
menu selections on the XXV "Gathering DVD" and have seen buttons for
sale of this logo for sale at a few websites, though haven't seen it
explicitly on any shirts yet that I've seen.

If *I* were in charge of cranking out KJ merchandise I'd opt for the
hammer-and-sickle logot to appear on quite a few more pieces of merch,
but only in black and white, a la the style of the black and white
Requem shirt for sale at the Plastichead.com shop, the only KJ shirt I
own. Many of KJ's shirts seem dated and overly-flashy, retro-colorful
looking. It'd be nice to see the KJ hammer-and-sickle logo used more
omnipresently, sort of like how The Dicks had a similar logo that got
them some notoriety )see:
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~alr237/dicks_hatethepolice.jpg for a hint). It
could have all the makings of the Crass or Bad Religion-type "brands" if
employed the right way -- and it'd be cheaper if they stuck a
black-and-white ascetic; austere and serious, even overwhelming.

Some of the more full-color looking KJ shirts I'm not so fond of. KJ
needs to keep it nice and stark and black & white, like their first LP
cover, imo. The xeroxed-looking pics of Darkthrone may be the way to go.
Let's kick this up a notch, esp. now that KJ are getting harder, thank
God. But, in short, yes, that KJ logo is a good design and I hope
they'll explore it more as oposed to overly colorful stuff that looks
like bad retro mid-90s concert t-shirts.

Let's get back to the grassrooots!

-Oliver