[kj] ot: good news!

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 20 11:59:00 EDT 2007

Saying "get fucked" in response to an interview question may be the
hallmark of genius to some people; they can take solace in the fact
Manning wasn't the only one to do it. Have you seen interviews with
maybe 60% of the punk bands out there? I'm sure even George Bush has
been tempted to say "get fucked" to the press corps. Brilliant!

It's all contextual. The idea that the guy was some kind of a "rebel"
(see Ed Barret's obit, calling Manning a "true punk rocker" -- but who
isn't nowadays now that "punk" is basically a meaningless garbage basket
term applied to anything anyone likes -- Elvis, The Beatles, etc.) is
hilarious. David Duke and Larry the Cable guy are also true punk rockers
if that's what it's come to mean.

-Oliver