[kj] FW: Re: Funny KJ tracks?

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 31 19:30:47 EDT 2007

I agree that capitalism and big business drive a lot of the warfare of
the past century -- the documentary "Why We Fight" goes into this quite
a bit. (Highly recommended to anyone, btw.)

But war did exist before capitalism reared it's greed-hungry head.
Obviously pre-capitalist societies like feudal societies, slave
societies, even tribal societies engaged in warfare.

But I don't think that means it's inevitable or that it definitely will
always happen, as Jaz seems to imply. Rape and murder have also existed
since time immemorial, but we try to rid society of it and penalize
people for it. We don't just lay back fatalistically and say, "Oh well,
that's the way things are, what can ya do?" There is an active attempt
to prevent it and punish it.

But the 20th century, the supposed century of so much humanitarianism,
technological advances, etc., was also the bloodiest ever. I think
capitalism had a big part of it. How could it not have, given the
countries that started WW2, for example, all had
capitalist/industrialist economies?

-Oliver