[kj] FW: Re: Funny jaz ect

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 31 15:12:36 EDT 2007

This is sort of why I recommended Cormac McCarthy's book _The Road_ to
KJ fans -- it describes the aftermath of the sort of global holocaust
Jaz talks about. Or used to talk about?

The song "Asteroid" is interesting because it basically describes an
extinction-level event not caused by atomic bombs -- but just by a big
fuckin' space rock, like in a Bruckheimer movie. I've never been clear
if Coleman still really thinks there'll be some sort of global war, or
if just "forces of nature" will kill us all. The environment, or a big
space rock?

I know the founder of the Jehovah's Witnesses predicted the end of the
world back around the time of World War 1. That didn't come true. Jaz
gave the world eighteen months to live in 1981 or 1982. There were a lot
of movies made back in the earl 80s, like _The Day After_, _Threads_,
that really seemed to be the kind of zeitgeist of that age, and I've
wondered if all that didn't influence Jaz, too.

-Oliver