[kj] ChangeTin, change

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 26 20:20:42 EDT 2007

Forget about communism, etc. -- the US had a huge part in the Nuremberg
Principles, which unequivocally state that soldiers, regardless of their
nationality, have not just the right, but a DUTY, to disobey orders that
they know require them to breach int'l law. This was because, like, if
Nazis had done this, had disobeyed their orders, WW2, the Holocaust,
etc., mightn't have happened. It was seen as a very desirable principle
to establish to prevent future horrors.

The problem is getting this principle, like all things (Geneva
conventions, UN Resolutions, etc.) to apply to the US, which usually
practices American exceptionalism: int'l law applies to everyone but us.
The US is uniquely awesome, imbued with an almost God-given historical
noble mission on the planet, so things rarely apply to us that are
strictly enforced when encountered in others. Like I said, the rest of
the world calls it American exceptionalism. I don't think US troops are
immune from the Nuremberg Principles any more than Indian troops,
Russian troops, Afghans, etc.

-Oliver