[kj] OT: green vinyl for mr. sheppard

Per G Olsson Per.G.Olsson at Miljonmysteriet.com
Tue Jul 24 18:41:47 EDT 2007

Oh dear, I was enjoying the shade...

Well, as long as you don't incinerate PVC, the dioxin emissions
appear to be negliable (the main emissions of dioxins seems to be
from municipal and medical incinerators, cement kilns and
secondary copper smelting - not from land-fills). Dioxins are not
NEEDED to produce PVC and (if I understand things right) is only
formed as a by-product during PVC production from Vinyl chloride. I
assume that this is as with any chemical reaction; choosing
the"right" or "wrong" conditions will maximise or minimise the yield,
"green vinyl" should be possible to produce, it is most likely a
question how you define the highest level of Dioxin that you can
accept and the price you are willing to pay.

That's as far as my ability goes.

In my next life I'll make sure I'll get a PhD in "Dioxins and PVC,
with a focus on musical industry", in this one I'm not sure I'd like
to dig any further into this (I might fin the gound filled up with 7"-
singles from the mid 80's)

/Per G O
(desperately trying to leave the limelight)

>>> http://www.greenpeace.org.nz/toxics-map/deadly.htm

>>> http://www.greenpeace.org.nz/toxics-map/zero.htm