[kj] Killing Joke live bbc ect

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 22 05:25:10 EDT 2007

Jamie,

Ah, that's cool, about Omega Tribe. In places like AllMusicGuide I
always see how Killing Joke influenced Nine Inch Nails, Tool, and,
frankly, a lot of bands I have no interest in. I agree about KJ staying
sort of above the fray of the morass of punk and post-punk throughout
the 80s and especially the 1990s. I came to KJ belatedly after growing
up on hardcore punk, thrash, and the like. Suddenly something about KJ
"clicked" for me, but I am still grounded in a lot of the hardcore I
come from.

A friend of mine mentioned that even though Killing Joke do not cleanly
fit into any single genre, but have covered a lot of sonic terrain, they
have "virally influenced" a lot of types of punk-related music,
alternative, industrial, what have you. I think that's a good way to put
it. A viral influence, not as direct and immediate as The Ramones, but
more nuanced.

-Oliver