[kj] back to oil!!!

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 21 09:19:06 EDT 2007

Mr. Black,

My interpretation of Jaz's lyric ("We'll clothe your women the Western
way") was more of the general sort of US cultural imperialism that's
gradually overwhelming the entire planet. I'm not sure Jaz meant that as
a part of the US (oops, I mean Allied Coalition!) invasion US troops
would force Iraqi women to dress Western, I think he was reflecting that
monoform Western dress styles would probably come to predominate there,
but the specific US invasion of Iraq was more or less a very blatant and
extreme example of Western encroachment onto foreign soil, bringing with
it its culture, music, etc.

It's like the Rammstein music video, "We're All Living in Amerika," the
gist of which is that nowhere you go in the world it's getting more and
more like all you'll find is American culture there anyway.

Rammstein "Amerika" vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ04eMfEuik

Of course, I can't talk for Jaz. Would have to ask him. Just my
interpretation of what he meant. The inevitable cultural transformation
that often accompanies a major influx of foreign troops, gadgets,
computers, movies, etc.

-Oliver