[kj] back to oil!!!

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 21 08:14:54 EDT 2007

Actually, Mr. Black - you're the one who's incorrect.

Iraq allowed weapons inspectors -- Hans Blix and others -- who never
found anything. Well, but that's the UN, right? "They're useless,"
right-wing pundits said. Let us in Iraq, and we'll find 'em!

That didn't happen. So then the rationale changed. Several times,
retroactively, hopping for the sort of chronic amnesia much of the US
public demonstrates to its detriment. At one point Bush said Iraq was
invaded to unilaterally enforce a UN decision, something no one but the
UN Security Council has the power to authorize. And in this case, it
didn't. If every nation decided to unilaterally enforce something the UN
says, but without UN consent, like Bush said the US was doing, you'd
have many countries invading Israel, and that's just for starters.

Bush's picking March, 2003, right after the militaristic US right-wing
had been handed a major gift in the form of 9/11, to be able to pursue
policies they wanted to follow anyway, because inspectors weren't
allowed in, well, why then, at that point? Countries that
UNCONTROVERSIALLY have WMDs, like North Korea and Iran -- you know, thos
eother two Axis of Evil countries from which no 9/11 hijackers came
from, either -- aren't invaded. So methinks WMDs or suspicion of them
wasn't the problem. In fact, a country's possession of WMDs ensures they
won't be invaded by the US. The fact the US invaded Iraq essentially
proves they had no WMDs. Countries that do have WMD don't get invaded by
the US.

The reasons given by the actual decision-makers for invading changed
quite a bit as reality has collided unfortunately with the bullshit they
spun to the public.

Now, wishful thinking as to why hopefully why "we" really invaded is an
interesting academic exercise, but I';m talking about what the real
decision-makers told people, not reasons I'd like to think they invaded.
Just go by what they said. It's changed many times. No need to invent a
good reason from your armchair.

The 1st Gulf War is another story.

-Oliver