[kj] Vinyl

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 11 12:13:20 EDT 2007

It's been "making a comeback" since the mid 1990s, in the media. Austin
has now and has always had a ton of vinyl shops. When I get something
new I rarely get it on CD. I get remastered stuff, like the KJ
re-releases on CD, but I can think of 3 places nearby that have, for
ex., the new Bad Brains LP on vinyl.

A related anecdote: There is an episode of the Simpsons from its sixth
or seventh season where Homer goes into a music store. The original joke
was to have Homer show his age by asking for a new release on vinyl.
Then the Simpsons writers realized that that didn't actually show one's
age, because "the kids" were actually into vinyl again (and this was,
like, 1995/6). So they decided to make Homer show his age by instead
making a comment about Apple Computer, which at the time was considered
on its way to extinction. Obviously, neither joke has aged well, where
Apple is in the news everyday and vinyl can be found in tons 'o places.

-Oliver