[kj] [OT] Don't stay overnight in a US hospital!

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 3 23:27:34 EDT 2007

Yeah, the article I linked to goes into MLK-Harbor/Drew's problems in
depth. It's a symptom of a greater problem, and the MLK experience is
admittedly unusually bad EVEN BY U.S. standards, which are lower than
the rest of the industrialized world's. Keep in mind I'm in Texas -- not
one of the many Brits on this list engaging in idle US-bashing. I know
what's rotten when I see it, regardless of country -- and the US health
care system is one of the things that's rotten. I don't think there can
ever be a perfect health care system, and I don't think anyone's
suggested there can be, or that neglect in Canada and the UK don't ever
happen, as you seem to imply. But can there be a better one than what we
have here, now? Yes.

According to a poll at the non-partisan TheHill.com even 51% of
Republican voters want universal health care in the US:
http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/poll-shows-many-republicans-favor-universal-healthcare-gays-in-military-2007-06-28.html

It's not some pissing contest with other countries across the world.

-Oliver