[kj] Guilty Pleasures

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Fri Jan 12 20:38:49 EST 2007

"Javier Garcia" wrote:

> Shit! I'm scared as many of the things you guys have listed as "guilty"

> were not guilty pleasures to me at all: Beastie Boys, U2, Big Country,

> early Duran Duran... to name a few.

Big Country used to be one of my favorite bands. I was lucky enough to see
them live several times during tours for their first three albums which was
when they were arguably at their peak. I kind of lost touch with them when
they drifted off the map and stopped touring North America in the 90's but
picked up their "Final Fling" double live album just before Stuart died and
wound up getting into the band again. They have like 15 odds and ends (live,
demos, cover songs, rare tracks , etc) compilations available through their
website so it's been kind of a gradual process becoming reacquainted with
them again.

> To increase this list i have to mention:

> Billy Idol - 'Rebell Yell' (it's great, all of it!)

Idols recent album "Devil's Playground" was really good, imo. It was like
the direct followup to "Rebel Yell" that he should have made back in the
'80's.

> Ratt (i was a kid when I was into heavy metal, but i still enjoy listening

> this guys from their first self-titled album to 'Invasion of your

> Privacy', pretty good musicians)

They had a few really sharp singles that I can still listen to form time to
time. "Way Cool Jr" and "Lay It Down" come to mind. I remember seeing these
guys open for Ozzy back in '84 around their first album and the singer
obviously had a *lot* of electronic help on his vocals. Even more than Ozzy!

> Coldplay (all their albums, not too guilty though, theses guys are good)

I like some of Coldplay's big singles, notably "Speed of Sound" but they are
pretty damn boring in concert. I saw them about a year and a half ago
because my wife actually wanted to see them so I took her on our 10th
Anniversary and was bored to tears. They *so* much want to be U2 and it
really comes out in their live show.

> Audioslave (their 1st an their 3rd album - but do not feel very guilty to

> be honest:)

Huh. IMO, Audioslave's second album is easily their best although I know a
lot of their more hardcore fans prefer the 3rd one.

T.B.