[kj] An Olive Branch for Olive-r

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 28 11:31:57 EST 2007

Kurt Cobain said he wanted Nirvana to sound like The Beatles meets Black
Sabbath. Are Black Sabbath hair metal? Well, debatable -- maybe later
era Black Sabbath were hair metal, sure. I personally don't think
Nirvana sounded like hair metal per se, but when Nirvana broke into
popular consciousness, they sounded more like the next step up-and-away
from the hair metal of Warrant, Anthrax (the metal band, not the punk
one) that had dominated the Headbangers' Ball landscape of the 80s, not
a return to, or new kind of, punk, as some many music writers insisted.
It was esepcially surreal in the days of '92 - '93 to hear the same DJs
that only a couple of years before had been playing New Kids on the
Block or Bell Biv Devoe to suddenly be playing Nirvana and Firehose and
talking abou punk like they'd been into it all along. Sorry! Some of us
have memories.

In any event, whether they sound like hair metal or not, I just have
never liked Nirvana.

Also: I WISH KILLING JOKE HAD WON THAT LAWSUIT! :) (I do like Grohl's
drumming on 2003 s/t but that is probably the nicest thing I'll say
about anyone in Nirvana.)

-Oliver