[kj] Pantera (WAS: 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA)

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 27 00:01:58 EST 2007

Pantera, for whatever reason, did do a cover of Poison Idea's "The
Badge," which appeared on the original CROW movie soundtrack in the
early 90s, believe it or not. Freaked me out when I heard it.

And even though they're locals to me now, I do hate Pantera to death,
and was way nauseated at the 9/11-style mourning that ensued locally
when Pantera member Dimebag Darrell died here. The band still own a
strip club in Dallas. Not my kinda metal. _Cowboys from Hell_ -- yeehaw.
And they did also used to be a hair band, of course. The now-deceased
Dimebag used be called Diamond Darrel in their earlier Aquanet-supported
incarnation, of course.

In fact, here's the cover of Panetra's 1st LP, _Metal Magic_ (1983):

http://www.chestionabil.ro/images/blog/pantera-metal-magic.jpg

Hell yeah!

And here's Pantera when Anselmo signed on in '88:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/PanteraPowerMetal.jpg

Yum!

Then in the early 90s, after the alt-punk type brok, suddenly they did a
Poison Idea cover for a movie. Okay, whatever guy. Go back to your strip
club and leave us alone.

-Oliver