[kj] Afro-Punk & Swiz Re: 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 26 20:40:26 EST 2007

Chris,

Decline 3 was better than Decline 2 but how can you top the classic that
is Decline 1? It's clear Decline 3 is taking place in a diff. era and a
study of a particular subculture of spare-changing, street punk kids,
and the bands they like, it's good. But it doesn't have the urgent,
'Wow, this is insane' feeling I remember getting from Decline 1.

Have not seen any doc on Afro-Punk but it sounds interesting as hell.
_American hardcore_ does get major props for emphasizing Bad Brains'
contributions to hardcore and punk, possibly rock 'n roll in general.
Another one of my favorite hardcore bands, Swiz, who were were around
from about 1987 to 1992, and from the Washington DC area, was headed up
by Shawn Brown -- he happens to be African Amrican and has a killer
voice often compared to Henry Rollins. Before Swiz he was briefly in
DC's Dag Nasty, the band that had some ex-Minor Threat members in it.
But they kicked Shawn out because his vocals were too "hard" and they
wanted a more melodic approach. There is a rare-ish Dag Nasty 1985-1986
CD that haas all of Dag Nasty's material with Shawn on vocals and it's
way heavier than anything else Dag nasty ever did; they evolved into an
uptempo popcore band after he left. Ironically, the CD with him on it
was the first CD I ever purchased, back in the early 90s, and I was
blown away.

So, Shawn Brown went to Swiz, which had a little bit of NYHC in the mix
(Gorilla Biscuits style), a little bit of post-hardcore, and really
their own very cool thing going that's all their own. After Swiz, Shawn
sang in Sweetbelly Freakdown (horrible band name), essentially a Swiz
reunion band who put out one LP in 1997 that is actually pretty damned
good. Then Brown went on to Jesus Eater for a few years, which were
like a Rollins Band-meets-Helmet, heavier groove-type band with a hint
of Black Sabbath (get Jesus Eater's LP, not their EP), but Jesus Eater
also broke up. Now I think Shawn Brown is a tattoo artist in Maryland or
something.

But as far as African-American punk front men go, if the Afro-Punk
documentary you mention doesn't feature a big chunk of it on Shawn
Brown, I'd be mightily disappointed! The guy was/is an incredible
hardcore singer, as good as Henry Rollins ever has been.

AND HERE'S SOME COOL NEWS: Jade Tree offers a FREE downloadable Swiz
CD-EP in mp3 format, complete with CD insert artwork you can print out
with directions on how to fold it together and make it into your own DIY
CD, compliments of the band's ex-members. Keep in mind the tracks on
this free mp3 are essentially demos and are not as hard as Swiz's final
stuff -- but it's pretty damned good in any event, for 1987 or 88.

http://www.jadetree.com/mp3/Swiz-With_Ramsey.zip

That's the free EP!

-Oliver