[kj] 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 26 12:08:47 EST 2007

I liked the 1st 3 Danzig albums when I was in my late teens, but not now.

Rollins, whose last name is also not his birth-one like Danzig's (Glenn
Anzalone in Glenn Danzig's case; Henry Garfield -- as in Garfield the
Cat -- in Henry Rollins' case) -- yeah, never been into bands that name
themselves after themselves, really, especially ones that have come up
through punk and at that time (late 80s) seemed to be trying to cash in
their punk chips to try and "make it," as these bands seemed to to me. A
band called COLEMAN, for ex., would bias me going into it, prejudicial
and unfair man that I am.

So, I personally don't like either Rollins Band or Danzig. But some
folks on the list like Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, and think it's
"brilliant! underrated!," etc, while I don't like those, either. We all
have our preferences. Lots of folks hate _Hosannas_; I love it. C'est la
vie.

And, yep, as my other post says, I own (for better or worse) a VHS copy
of Decline 3, which is okay-ish.

-Oliver

Alex in NYC wrote:

The first three Danzig albums, incidentally, are brilliant -- no matter
how you label them (because, ultimately, it's the MUSIC that matters,
not the categories you're assigning to them). And by decrying Danzig for
naming his band after himself, do you extend that same judgemental
derision toward the Rollins Band then? If Glenn is writing everything,
why shouldn't he name the band after himself?

Also, Danzig's stuff (even the less inspired stuff post-4) is *STILL* a
quadrillion light years better than the pathetic incarnations of the
Misfits that Jerry Only attempts to foist on a gullible public today
(yes, even the incarnation with Dez Cadena and Marky Ramone). He needs
to hang it up.