[kj] 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 26 11:58:18 EST 2007

Actually, that's more of a TRA - GE - DY if anything. It's a great movie though.

Anyone see the third one? DECLINE III concentrated on the dying vestiges of the Punk community who live on the street and panhandle. Not as funny as the second (by a loooooooooooooong shot), nor as seismic and seminal as the first, but well worth checking out (be prepared to be depressed).

DECLINE II? What were they rebelling against? Seems like the gents in those bands and that scene were more interested in a sort've Utopian hedonistic lifestyle (as typified by bands like Kiss and Van Halen) and aspiring to be rock stars, as opposed to making music simply because they had something to say (other than, y'know, "party!"), like the bands in the first film (although the Circle Jerks have always claimed to be a "party band," despite the fact that their lyrics usually tended to be a bit more incissive, introspective and rife with depressive realism).

AMERICAN HARDCORE is flawed by those glaring omissions yes, but Biafra didn't want to cooperate. Not sure about the Misfits, but they're not renowned for being especially permissive (well, Glenn ain't, at least).

The first three Danzig albums, incidentally, are brilliant -- no matter how you label them (because, ultimately, it's the MUSIC that matters, not the categories you're assigning to them). And by decrying Danzig for naming his band after himself, do you extend that same judgemental derision toward the Rollins Band then? If Glenn is writing everything, why shouldn't he name the band after himself?

Also, Danzig's stuff (even the less inspired stuff post-4) is *STILL* a quadrillion light years better than the pathetic incarnations of the Misfits that Jerry Only attempts to foist on a gullible public today (yes, even the incarnation with Dez Cadena and Marky Ramone). He needs to hang it up.

Alex in NYC