[kj] 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA

Leigh Newton angrytomhanks at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 13:08:09 EST 2007

Black Flag deserve massive props for swimming against the stream in the wake of 2 minute speedcore and putting out albums like My War and everything that came after. Without those, we wouldn't have the Melvins, for one. But really, i find everything that came after Damaged pretty unlistenable. Even the good songs like My War, Slip It In, My Ghetto etc are ruined by the murkiest, sludgiest production i've ever heard. I don't think Bill Stevenson or Kira were much of an exciting rhythm section at all either.

Leigh