[kj] 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA

Neil Perry neilfperry at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 23 07:58:57 EST 2007

Other bands sound/image-changing disasters:

Dexys Midnight Runners going from raggle-taggle care-free gypsys (and huge chart hits) to the smart preppy look, all matching pastel jumpers and short back-and-sides hair cuts, with a pop sound to match. Prrrrp! What was that? The sound of your career going down the pan.

Having said that, the gypsy thing was their new look after the previous 'docker' look, donkey jackets and black caps, and no one had minded that. Fickle public, eh?

peter muckle <pmuckle00 at hotmail.com> wrote: Yeah have to agree Slayer did slow down, but it was still listenable unlike
other bands

>From: Leigh Newton

>band!)"

>To: "A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)"

>Subject: Re: [kj] 1000 SUNS Outside Gate and PHANTASMAGORIA

>Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:26:21 -0800 (PST)

>I think Slayer going from the breakneck, unrelenting thrash metal of Reign

>in Blood to the slowed down, creepy melodicism of South of Heaven was a

>pretty gutsy about-face. Probably the only ballsy move they've ever made,

>artistically speaking. The backlash was so bad that, since then, they've

>pretty much been giving the fans exactly what they want. Too bad cuz i

>think South of Heaven is incredible. Who would think that thrashmetalheads

>in 1988 would be so single-minded? Hmm...

,"A list about all