[kj] OT: in Defense of PHANTASMAGORIA by the Damned

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 21 09:15:40 EST 2007

Just a few words in defense of PHANTASMAGORIA. I was shocked as everyone else at said album's comparatively gloppy overproduction. Despite the funereal trappings, it owed more to the likes of Meat Loaf and Bonnie Tyler than it did to any Goth making the `rounds at the time (by comparison, the Sisters of Mercy sound like the Ramones). That said, there were still some fine moments of pure pop on it (notably "Street of Dreams" and "Grimly Fiendish", although "Is It A Dream?" is just crap across the board). I'm also a big fan of the non-album single "Eloise," another hoarily windswept and overproduced gem. Was in Punk? Not especially, but who cares?

As a college freshman in 1985 out in the bowels of Ohio, I remember packing into a crowded station wagon to drive across scary, backwoods-ass Midwestern pigfuck country to Kentucky to catch the Damned on the PHANTASMAGORIA tour (which, for some reason, bypassed the nearest city to our school, Columbus). As over-the-top as their image and aesthetic had become (Hammer horror films, candelabras, graveyard shtick), they were as full-on live as can be imagined (and yes -- quite definably PUNK in every semblance of the term).

I've grown to quite like the PHANTASMAGORIA album as a result. There are some great moments on ANYTHING as well (notably their cover of "Alone Again Or" and the title track, which is essentialy a wafer-thin-re-write of Iggy Pops "Five Foot One"). I saw them again with Brian James et al. on the tour that resulted in the FINAL DAMNATION tour (`90 or so?) at the New Ritz, and they were endearingly shambollic. The last time I saw them was in the mid-90's at since-shuttered Coney Island High. I don't believe Rat was in attendance, but Dave was there in all his ridiculous glory. It was fun to see them, but it wasn't really "the Damned" as I'd grown to love.

I haven't picked up a new album/single of theirs since I can't remember when, honestly. But I listened to a clutch of Damned tracks on my walk to work this morning, and the mere fact that their catalog stretches from the stripped-down velocity of "Fish" and "Neat Neat Neat" through to the ersatz psychedelia of the Naz Nomad stuff and onto their vanglorious opuses (opi?) like the afore-mentioned "Eloise" is a testament to their versatility.

Bless'em.

Alex in NYC