[kj] OT Jet Boy jet Girl Pepsi Ad

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 20 01:02:07 EST 2007

Saying one thing and then doing another is sort of duplicitous (i.e.
Mark E. Smith's interview in MRR decrying business corporations and how
corrupt they are, then selling, of all things a song to sell SUVs -- not
economy sized fuel efficient cars, mind you -- but bigger, ballsy road
hog stuff Americans like to plow people off the freeway with.)

You said: "I see it as a great scam." Buzzcocks: "Hah, we really got one
over on those old folks who are in the AARP political lobby now since
getting our song on that commercial" -- bring in the cash! The Pistols
played the same game as it suited them - when they got dropped from a
label, they (or MacLaren at least) insisted it was all a swindle, they
were scamming one corporation after the next, so - ha to the
establishment. Then when they were without a label it went back to being
anti-establishment, fuck the labels, etc., they're useless.

I like it when folks pick one or the other and sort of make it
consistent. Having elastic or supple principles is the only way some
folks can get by, I guess. And in any event I wonder how many beta
blockers some of the geezers in the AARP commercial, celebrating their
70th birthdays, etc., would have to take if I played the Buzzcocks "Tear
Me Up" at them. "But that's the band your organization chose to get you
give monthly to AARP!" I'd protest. "And band's called what?"Granny
might reply. "THE BUZZCOCKS, madame, THE BUZZCOCKS!!"

In any event, I think it'd be a great scam for Discharge to sell "Never
Again" to Windex. Dirty streaks on your mirrors? WOman pulls out bottle
of Windex to spray clean it. Discharge kicks in, "Well, never, never,
never again!" --with Windex, that is.

So -- no YouTube link for the "Jet Boy Jet Girl" ad? :(

-Oliver