[kj] Clip of US punk documentary/riots

Neil Perry neilfperry at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 19 23:45:35 EST 2007

Hmm, our 'rules' were a little more harsh. From what I can remember:

You got a whack around the ear in the playground from bigger boys
if you:
Listened to The Jam (bloody mods)
Listened to Sham 69 (bloody joke band)
Listened to The Clash after the first album (they'd sold out by
touring the US a lot)
Wore punk clothes/badges but still had neat/long hair
Listened to The Damned after the first two albums (no longer
'proper' punks)
Listened to PiL after the first album (Johnny Rotten had turned into
a 'commie' - somebody actually said this to me once)

There were other similar rules, but they changed so quickly that you
were better off listening to what you wanted to listen to and learning
to run away fast.

"B. Oliver Sheppard" <bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net> wrote: A friend and I once tried to compile a list of the "Top 10 unwritten
rules for punks." Here they are:

1) One was that you are not allowed to wear your own band's shirt on
stage, unless you are The Ramones. I guess Motorhead gets a pass on
this. But I saw The Damned once playing wear t-shirts of their own band
it just looked dumb.

2 ) Another: You should not wear a shirt of the band whose show you're
attending. Many violators on the KJ XXV Gathering DVD. Hah. Except the
gnarly hesher dude (A LABEL) in the Sepultura shirt up front. I still
envy him for how close he got, though, even if his hair would have
bothered me while he was headbanging a bit much during "Wardance."

3) Punks do not use the word "mosh."

4) Punks do not use the word "hoodie."

5) If you and some friends are traveling together to see a punk band,
and you're wearing, say, a particular Discharge shirt, and you pick up
one of your your friends in your car and he happens to be wearing the
exact same shirt -- well, he has to go back inside and change his shirt
to something else.

6) Punks do not wear white belts. Now, I have personally liked bands
that wear white belts, but it's in spite of the white belt-age, not
because of it.

7) Punks do not wear "girl jeans" and try to have hair like Luke
Skywalker in 1977 on purpose, at the same time. Just no way. This means
you,

8) No drum machines if possible. (I violate this one a lot. I like
several bands that use'em but I prefer the real deal and I think Big
Paul was amazing.)

9) Punks do not have goatees, especially if braided. They do not try to
look like they are going to a Blackstone the Magician convention, or a
Dave Navarro homage.

I like bands and have friends that defy some of these rules, but these
are some rough guidelines to go by. In the end, my friend and I couldn't
come up with a full ten. I guess that one could be Alex in New York
City's "NO LABELSSSSS!"

-Oliver