[kj] Clip of US punk documentary from 1977

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 17 23:49:59 EST 2007

Ah, the delights of YouTube!

This YouTube clip is interesting: It's a clip of a U.S. documentary from
1977 about how punk is a new, scary, anti-social phenomenon. The band
they choose to profile is The Damned. Despite how, uh, "gay" (ugh -- why
that word?) you may think The Damned are now, believe it or not,
mainstream America once thought punk was a pretty weird, antisocial
alien threat. (I know folks on this list are old enough, thank the
Flying Spaghetti Monster, to dismiss such rubbish, but, hell, it was
true that folks really thought it was like a psychopathic craze early
on!) And The Damned in the late 80s are one of the 1st punk bands I got
into, back when I was a teen dressing in black and was called into the
principal's (that's "headmaster" for you Brits) office (Geraldo's
*"Satanic Panic"* era) here near Austin, Texas, for being a Satanist
(for wearing a Pushead t-shirt of the Misfits in 1988, of all things).
Now that I am 32 and a lot of kids like poseur bands like Avenged
Sevenfold who have Dave Navarro-esque goatees and stuff, this kind of
stuff below comes as a shock to them when they see it.

Anyway: Thank you YouTube for bringing this shit back up. Anyway: Why
punk is hypocritical and dangerous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfEEQdfeqF0

I personally like pre-1980 (1st 3 LPs -- even Music for Pleasure) Damned
but think it's all downhill after 1980. Sorry, guys.

-Oliver FROM TEXAS