[kj] o/t Please sign the petition - it's too late

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Wed Dec 19 05:39:40 EST 2007

Haha, it's funny the in-jokes and in-words that develop on list (cnut /
sweetie etc :)

The thing I really like about Buddhism is the idea of taking negative energy
and either dissipating it or turning it into positive energy. One of the
most beautiful concepts I've heard of, worthy of a lot of respect and
publicity. However (there's always a however) as I've said I think you're
only making things worse if you allow negative energy to overcome you (i.e.
Buddhists allowing themselves to be slaughtered)...my personal ethic is that
two negatives can make a positive...rejecting, protesting, fighting evil
regimes (negative towards a negative) = positive. The trick is making sure
you're not lynching the wrong person I suppose, as iPat pointedly pointed
out. I was relieved in a sense when I had that epiphany (okay it might have
been an epiphany via a youtube video of some sort, so it was an online,
seated epiphany while sipping a rum and coke or something, still...piphanies
were epied!)...

So, like a lot of things...a particular set of beliefs can be twisted or
interpreted in such a way as to have positive or negative
consequences...even Buddhism of all things, which unlike a lot of other
belief systems / religions, seems to only ever have had anything but the
best of intentions behind it.

As Robert Anton Wilson said...convictions cause convicts. As soon as you
think the sum of wisdom possessed by the entire human race or the entire
universe(s) or multiverse(s) or dimensions or WHATEVER can be summed up in
one book, whether it's the Koran or the Bible or Atlas Shrugged or Marx,
whatever...well you can check in your brain and the rest of your nervous
system at the door because you'll never have any need for it again. Any
signal entering your nervous system that doesn't agree with the Ten
Commandments or Ayn Rand or Xenu or Allah or whatever will be ignored, or
twisted to fit into the dogma. Hence Bill Hicks' Fundamentalist Christians
saying that dinosaur bones are "God testing us"

For fuck's sake. I had to put up with that nonsense as a kid. It's surely
responsible for at least three of my nervous ticks and seven of my sexual
deviant practices (okay so it's not all bad)... ;)