[kj] FW: Please sign the petition - it's too late

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Mon Dec 17 15:34:00 EST 2007

The dirty dozen is a classic movie where a rag tag bunch of violent crims
(pretty sure they weren't all burglars etc) are given the chance to
redeedm themselves in a dangerous mission behind german lines, and they
do. I was just saying I don't agree with that, in most cases antisocial
violent crims would make useless soldiers IMO.

Raises the question of what is right and what is lawful...just because
something is lawful doesn't mean it's right, and just because something is
unlawful doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong (smoking a joint).

As The Corporation points out, often the most antisocial orrganisations
have perfectly nice people working in them, right up to the top. Same can
be the case, I suppose, with armies performing atrocities...as hard as it
is to get your head around.

So yeah, it's the definition of criminal, which means unlawful, but not
necessarily 'bad'. My example should really have been more
specific...violent psychopaths make terrible soldiers, I probably
shouldn't extrapolate further than that with other criminals.