[kj] OT : post-punk vids link

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 14 10:17:10 EST 2007

I label Simple Minds as shit. Sorry. Never got it. Easily forgettable, A-typical 80s soft-rock, pop, alternative (but not really) dribble

Chris

From: vassifer at earthlink.net
To: gathering at misera.net
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:44:41 -0500
Subject: Re: [kj] OT : post-punk vids link

Well, if we *really* want to get technical, I don't think we could really call the Simple Minds "New Romantics," as they had nothing to do with the ruffled-sleeve gaggle of preening peacocks who hung out at the Blitz and whatnot (i.e. Duran, Spandau, etc.). Simple Minds started off as a Punk band called Johnny & the Self-Abusers and went from there. I suppose that might qualify them as "post-punk" (as, on a purely literal level, they happened *post* Punk Rock). By the same token, I think the term "post-punk" is an apt one to describe U2 with (listen to BOY and tell me they don't fit in with the predominant sound commonly associated with "post-punk"). That both of those bands morphed into different beasts entirely (not unlike, say, Killing Joke) is another matter. And I'm still waiting to hear why Danielle Dax and Strawberry Switchblade don't qualify as "post-punk". What are they, then? "Goths"? Goth-Pop? Wouldn't both of those sub-genres fall under the "post-punk" umbrella anyway? As far as I'm concerned, all Goth is Post-Punk, yet not all Post-Punk is Goth. Bigger question: who cares? I get hung up when bands are wrongly labelled (i.e. calling Redd Kross a hair metal band or calling Killing Joke a Goth band), but at the end of the day -- especially in 2007 when most of these labels are meaningless and long dead -- I'd rather judge a band based on their individual merits than on their party loyalty to whatever label or sub-genre they've been assigned.But to call Killing Joke a goth band is to do them an unduly limiting and belittling disservice.Alex in NYC
On Dec 14, 2007, at 9:26 AM, ade wrote: For once I agree with you, but I guess labels are a way of getting a concept across. It's more to do with the mechanism of communication than putting bands in a box. -----Original Message-----