[kj] amy shithouse

S. Man spacedmanrecords at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 21:24:01 EDT 2007

I'm under the impression that as a personality she is reaching the
annoying media saturation level in some parts of the world. However,
judging only by what she recorded on Back to Black I would say she is
pretty great. In terms of technical ability as a vocalist she is ok and
at times it seems like there are a few too many Billie Holiday
affectations but the sum total was a great record. The arrangements are
gorgeous...the best Motown nostalgia in recent memory so I have to at
least give credit to the people who played on that record.

I've met a lot of terrific musicians that I've known previously only
through their records and a not-insignificant percentage of them have
been utter morons and/or assholes in person. Few things suck more than
meeting a musical idol and discovering that they are an idiot. Somebody
previously referred to Steely Dan and even though I think they were
brilliant you would be hard pressed to find a more incoherent and
seemingly brain-dead character than Donald Fagen. Eventually I decided
I was better off avoiding meeting my musical heroes, ignoring whatever
media presence they occupied and stick to listening to the records. If
I was a musician that is how I would want to be judged.