[kj] In Defense of Hosannas

Leigh Newton angrytomhanks at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 25 21:42:29 EDT 2007

Stuff like editing and pitch-correction has been happening since people started making records. Programs like Pro-Tools just make it easier. So, in a sense, it can be a bit of a crutch, especially if you aren't a great musician or a tight band or whatever.

On the other hand, that's kind of what making an album is all about. It's not necessarily about the performance and only that. It's all about the final product. If you nail a perfect drum take except for one damn kick drum accent that you missed, the only thing keeping you from copying and pasting the kick drum from the previous bar and sticking it where the missed one is supposed to be is your ego. Work smart, not hard. Work smart, not hard. If the band or the album is a sucky one, you'll hear it whether the drums are in perfect time or not.

I find the only people who are down on the whole Pro-Tools/Nuendo/whatever thing are either analogue purists who are going for a certain asthetic or people who really don't understand the technical side of music and assume that, because you're using a computer to record your shit on, it's "fake".

Leigh