[kj] In Defense of Hosannas

T.B. Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Sat Aug 25 18:13:53 EDT 2007

"B. Oliver Sheppard" wrote:

> To be honest, I had to wonder myself, in the KJ 'o06 Electronic Press Kit,

> when Jaz was boasting about "primitive," "analog" etc. set up --

> yet the camera shows a flat panel computer screen in the studio box, what

> was going on. I have also heard the Bad Brains say their new album is "the

> real deal, not some Pro-Tools affair," etc.

> Myself, I would love to have a copy of ProTools. Why is everyone so down

> on it? (I do have Apple Logic Pro but have no idea how to use it.)

> Having said all this -- changing my feeling about whether ProTools or not

> is Satan -- I'm still going with songs like "Tribal Antidote" being really

> good. What others see as a sludgy mess I justs ee as a very powerful,

> churning, juggernaut of a song.

It's very easy for a band or producer to become basically a slave to doing
*everything* on a music production software like Pro-Tools. In stead of
getting a good performance in the studio by the band or singer, you can just
cut n' paste samples of *anything* to create a song. Singer out of pitch, no
problem. Guitarist can't nail a solo, no problem. Drummer can't keep
perfect time, no problem. You start adding all that up, it leaves far more
room for mediocrity and little for actual spontinaity in the studio. Throw
in a lazy or inexperienced producer and you get 95% of what passes for music
these days.

While KJ '03 is by far my favorite album from the band, I don't hear a live
band on that album.

T.B.