[kj] Killing joke and Communism

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 21 22:45:46 EDT 2007

Yeah, I have watched that documentary, From Freedom to Fascism, which is
a right-libertarian wet dream. It basically says the Fed is an arch-evil
agency -- much like the UN's black helicopters to right wing militia
nuts in the 1990s -- that is illegal and un-Constitutional and is
reviled by a lot of "I just hate paying taxes"-type Libertarians for the
wrong reasons.

In actuality, the Fed head is appointed by the President, if I remember
right, and it acts a lender of last resort to US banks, created to
ensure the Great Depression never happens again and that banks ever run
out of money if there is a big run on banks like there was before the
Great Depression. It is basically a welfare-state creation for banks,
who are the lifesblood of our economic system. It won't allow banks to
fail to such a degree that confidence in US markets is lost and
everything collapses. A nanny state for the business sector.

The Fed also has an unsavory policy of wanting to keep unemployment
between 4% and 8% -- which translates to real misery for milliosn of
people, by raising interest rates when unemployment gets too low. When
unemployment gets too low, the theory goes, workers demand higher wages,
and, to keep their cushy salaries and other big perks, executives will
charge consumers more to make up for that. That means higher consumer
prices, which means workers will want more wages -- so up goes inflation.

One thing the Federal Reserve is NOT is some evil conspiratorial cabal
of financial elites with ties to the Illuminati, or to Jewish
moneylenders, or any of the other thinly-veiled anti-Semitic crap that
has been peddled in some UFO/conspiracy type circles. If you ever see an
article on the web about the Fed Reserve that mentions "the Rothschilds"
or "medieval Jewish financial bankers," skip it. It's bullshit.

It is, however, a kind of safety net for the banking industry, but it
has a policy of keep 4 to 8% of America's population unemployed at any
given time, so that workers will be more likely to accept less wages.

-Oliver