[kj] Killing joke and Communism

GREG SLAWSON gregslawson at msn.com
Tue Aug 21 17:20:44 EDT 2007

Actually, I bet (anti-communist whack-job) Pete is the only one offended by the hammer and sickle...BTW, I have a black Stever Earle (lefty country rocker) shirt w/red hammer and sickle on front and "THe Revolution Starts Now" on the back. I also have a sequined country belt w/ a large hammer and sickle "CCCP" belt buckle, which I wear to all the country and bluegrass shows--now THAT'S f-n cool...And Oliver, the Che Guevarra logos are getting annoying too (I wonder if anyone who wears them even knows who he was...)
P.S. Anyone know anything about singer Robert Wyatt? I think he's a commie (and activist for the handicapped)...> Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:55:16 -0500> From: bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net> To: gathering at misera.net> Subject: Re: [kj] Killing joke and Communism> > I like the Killng Joke hammer & sickle logo. I'm pretty sure Alex is > right that it is an ultimately meaningless thing, a kind of punk-era > playing with ideological symbols of the past to be provocative -- the > Sex Pistols wore swastikas, they did also wear commie symbols (and not > just in the Alex Cox movie) while bands like Durruti Column were named > after an anarchist band, and Crass of course employed the crossed-out > cross and circle-A, though, dammit, they were serious. Punk started all > that "let;s use provocative political symbols to get a rise out of > people" stuff.> > A few years ago there was a trend of army green messenger bags with red > stars on them, or black shirts with a big red star on the, probably > intended to invoke associations w/ communism and/or anarcho-syndicalism. > Of these are all made by capitalist outfitters. It's one of those > punk-started things that percolated up into mass market conusmerist culture.> > Jaz's political statements have been so wild and varied over the years I > dunno where to consistently place him on any scale.> > They also used Nazis saluting a pope! One of my fave band-appropriated > images ever used. :)> > -Oliver> > > Frank Frik wrote:> > And perhaps British labour goverment wouldn't be offended...lnew > > labour from communists is not that far....swastica defended/and do > > the ''conservationist democrat centrist right wing. partys''. > >> > */Mister Black <ssssssssss at fsmail.net>/* wrote:> > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering