[kj] OT: "Punk's Not Dead" documentary

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 10 08:22:37 EDT 2007

It's called revisionism, Oliver, and you're absolutely right. Time
was when you were literally DEMONIZED for liking Punk Rock. I was
only ten years old circa the era of the Ramones/Pistols and such, but
even by the latter era of hardcore, people were *still* having a hard
time grasping/accepting it (witness the infamous episode of "Quincy,"
the chair-throwing on "Geraldo" etc.). I caught a great deal of flak
in high school for being a fan of the Circle Jerks and Black Flag
(now, in all sincerity, had I been into Night Ranger and REO
Speedwagon, who is to say I still wouldn't have caught flak, but
stilll). Fans of the culture/movement/music/tribe of Punk were *NOT*
plentiful, which only built a sense of solidarity between those who
*were* into it. Being a "punker" was as stigmatized as being a "D&D
geek" (albeit slightly cooler, one suspects).

There was a great deal of closed-mindedness and misconception when it
came to the Punk/Hardcore community in the early to mid 1980s -- it
hadn't yet been de-fanged, housebroken and entirely subsumed by the
mainstream.

One thing I'm certainly not going to miss about working at MTV News
was the sheer amount of cluelessness and -- again -- revisionism by
today's crop of bands claiming to be Punk (espec. the pop-punk
variety ala Fall Out Boy, Good Charlotte, etc.)

I have to confess that I lost interest with hardcore by around
`89..... I didn't see a lot of progression. Just a lot of band
returning to the same old ground and grousing about the same boring
issues without doing anything about it. Bands like NYC's the
Casualties (profiled in this dumb ass doc) depress the hell out of
me. They're even more retro than the fuckin' Black Crowes.

But I'm an old fart with a beard, so get the hell off my lawn.

Alex in NYC