[kj] OT: "Punk's Not Dead" documentary

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 10 00:10:22 EDT 2007

The rampant historicizing of punk nowadays esp. in the endlessly-cranked
out documentaries, biopics (Ina Curtis _Control_) and especially books
sort of gets to me only because I think it creates the sense that
everyone loved punk rock, post-punk, whatever, and younger people don't
realize that for a lot of people being into punk was a kind of
isolating, bizarre, fringe culture thing that was seen as very
antisocial; many people found punk actually very frightening into the
late 80s. It became associated with Satanism (the Satanic Panic) and
schools I went to began instituting dress codes where you couldn't wear,
for example, more than 50% black. The Sex Pistols Nevermind the Bollocks
barely broke the Top 100 when it was released, and didn't go gold until
the early 1990s, in the wake of Nirvana. Members of the respectable
media and bands like The Who claimed they hated punk and usually did
"scare the public" hit pieces on it, etc.

Now with all this glossy "let's look back" stuff it makes it seem like
every one and their mother liked it, and ... sorry, it wasn't like that.
People liked Bel Biv Devoe and C & C Music Factory. Where are the
documentaries about that? About the morons and idiots? They were the
majority. (Still are.) It sucks especially for some of us who were
actually physically threatened etc by jocks at school for having weird
hair, only to see the same jocks years later moshing and shit, when it
became okay and safe to do that.

-Oliver