[kj] OT: "Punk's Not Dead" documentary

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 9 21:51:30 EDT 2007

I think you are right.

I'm not old enough to have participated in the original '77 explosion of
punk, but am old to at least claimed I was into it before the punk
cultural 9/11 that was the release of Nirvana's _Neverind_, when
suddenly everyone had retroactively been into punk all along and loved
it, really, it suddenly seemed like. Radio station formats changed
overnight and the same DJs that just weeks earlier had been spinning New
Kids on the Block and The Escape Club were not switching to alt-rock,
acting like they'd always been into it, hoping no one would notice.

Now it's more punk to write books about book or make documentaries about
it than it is to actually make punk rock music, it seems like. There are
shitloads of new documentaries every month. The implication in a lot of
it, by older 30-somethings and 40 something who make it, is "Boy did you
youngsters really miss out! Too bad..."

Fuck Against Me! too.

Kicked out of school in the 80s for wearing Pushead/Misfits & Septic
Death shirts in Tipper Gore/PMRC Amerikkka,

-Oliver