[kj] rap ;-(

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 2 18:13:24 EDT 2007

Having worked at MTV News for a year and a half, I have to say that
99% of contemporary Hip Hop is indefensible crap. Stuff like T.I.,
Ludacris, the Clipse, Young Jeezy, Jay-Z, Nas, Diddy and 50 Cent ---
all complete bullshit.

That said, I still like a bit of the "classic" stuff, notably Public
Enemy (first three albums are great), LL Cool J and Run-DMC. Beyond
that, every now and then I'll hear a great track -- something like
"Bouncin' Back" by Mystikal, which sounds like Hip-Hop-meets-Tom-
Waits. I've liked a lot of Busta Rhymes' earlier stuff ("Whoo Ha,"
"Break Yo Neck"). Even "Get Low" by Lil Jon and the East Side Boyz
featured some amazing, layered production (despite the fact that the
message was deplorable, albeit certainly no more so than, say, "Bring
On the Nubiles" by the Stranglers or "I Kill Everything I Fuck" by GG
Allin).

My problem with most of today's hip hop is this: everybody's rappin',
but so precious few have ANYTHING TO SAY.

I can't identify with playas and hustlas. I have no interest in
bling. I don't give a damn about "keepin' it real." I don't think
being a "pimp" is something ANYONE should espouse or aspire to. In a
nutshell, most Hip Hop has NOTHING TO OFFER and NOTHING TO SAY.

This wasn't always the case, though. In the mid-90's there was a crop
of Hip Hop groups -- De La Soul, Jungle Brothers, A Tribe Called
Quest, etc. -- that were actually progressive and were taking the
genre places it hadn't been before. Of course, they all fell by the
wayside, and the lowest common denominator crept back in.

I can't imagine anyone less interesting or talented than 50 Cent.
Honestly, I so cannot fathom it. I hate Kanye West as a person
(conceited fuck), but "Gold Digger" was indeed a great track.

I still love the Beastie Boys, but they're almost a genre unto
themselves, at this point.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Alex in NYC