[kj] O.T. Stooges in NYC

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Wed Apr 18 23:16:15 EDT 2007

"Christof hamille" wrote:

>I have yet to see Bauhaus because of the whole reunion stigma. They vowed

>against it for so long...and then....1 record flops...another....and now

>you have it. I did the same with the Damned at first. Now I'll go because

>I kinow they are in it for at least a while (really because what else are

>they going to do). If Bauhaus comes through again and the tickets aren't

>$50 (I wish I was kidding) then probably.

> There is one side that thinks band could reunite when they can see the

> rewards of the earlier work (being ahead of the curve), but it erks me

> when bands do it because all else has failed and this is their last ditch

> effort to survive. 9 times out of 10 they still aren't tlaking to one

> another and it is the same set over and over and over.

You know, one reasons why many bands reunite and tour is because they are in
debt to a record company and just doing a lucrative tour is the best,
easiest way to get out of hock with them and hopefully make a nice
retirement nest egg.

I know for a fact Jane's Addiction did their "Relapse" tour in '97 for this
very reason. They still owed Warner Bros an album on their original contract
and were in continuous debt from their record company advances during the
late 80's/early 90's. They authorized and contributed some unreleased songs
and polished up a few demos, released "Kettle Whistle" and did a short
reunion tour that pretty much balanced the books with Warner Bros.

Record companies are like lone sharks. They sign a young (stupid) band,
throw a bunch of advance money for touring and recording and via creative
accounting and criminal interest rates, keep said band under their thumb
owing money and locked into the album/tour cycle for years until the band
burns out. Oh, and of course, said band usually doesn't own the rights to
their own music.

T.B.