[kj] O.T. Stooges in NYC

Matthew Burke marsboy1 at msn.com
Tue Apr 10 14:42:41 EDT 2007

A quick review of last night if no one else has posted (I'm on digest mode and can't seem to switch out).

I thought it was a real blast. The old tunes sounded fresh, tight and loud as fuck (louder as the night went on, especially after the sax was added). They opened with Loose, Down on the Street, TV Eye and I Wanna Be Your Dog, so, where can you really go from there? The brothers Asheton have only tightened up after their time away, Ron pulling some great noise solos throughout the night. And Mike Watt, an added bonus which I'd forgotten until showtime, gave everything he had, jumping, writhing and slamming his bass against his speaker cabinet. As for Iggy, he turns 60 this week and could beat me and anyone I know hands down in any physical test. His energy was unceasing, dancing, throwing himself on the floor, jumping on speaker cabinets, diving head first into the crowd, and we nearly got a few cockshots toward the end of the night as he unbuttoned his tiny pants and jumped around the stage. Iggy is undoubtedly one of our greatest living "rock stars" though he still lives somewhat modestly compared to those that cashed in on the trail he blazed.

Just a couple played off the new album, the best of which was My Idea of Fun, which actually fit somewhat seamlessly into the set. I'll agree the new disc isn't something I listen to a lot of, but at least they made some effort to do something new and regardless of what it sounds like, it's 40 years later and they've already opened the doors they were meant to open.

I appreciate these kinds of shows and don't dismiss them as a cash-in (as if any critic would pass up the opportunity to get back some of the money they lost by being ahead of their time), I think of these shows as celebrations of the survival and influence of this music which was scoffed at and mocked for so long after its creation. We're a tribe out there and we've survived the slings and arrows aimed at our tastes and it's a chance to thank the band, and they to thank us, and enjoy some time in the haven we've created. All the more exemplified during Real Good Time and No Fun, when Iggy invited as many fans onto the stage as could fit to dance and sing along, one of the high points of the evening.

As for the venue, a nice old refurbished theater seating about 3500 (sold out from what I could tell). It was bought by a church, and the marquee outside advertises only "join us Sundays" and "Rev. Ike" or something. Strange juxtaposition with a profanity laced punk show, however, what I liked most is that it reminded me of shows I went to when I was younger that didn't have this overriding 'stay in your seats, don't dance, don't smoke, behave yourselves' corporate fascist nonsense that seems to be present in so many venues in the city these days.

OK, it wasn't such a short review, but, my ears are still ringing and just wanted to convey that the Stooges are holding their ground.