[kj] OT: cat

Janean Lancaster Janean.Lancaster at hopwood.ac.uk
Thu Apr 5 04:09:12 EDT 2007

<<<<Strangely, I started getting stray cats hanging out in my yard all
the time like some creepy Stephen King Pet Cemetery movie.>>>>

I had a Stephen King Pet Cemetery experience about 15 years ago.

I was looking after my folks' house/pets while they were on holiday. A
friend and I went and stayed for the week.

My kid brother had a rabbit, my mum had two dogs. The rabbit had full
run of the back garden but one of the dogs would sometimes chase it - it
was fine because it could outrun the dog and escape into the safety of
its hutch. I just had to make sure I locked it in its hutch at night in
case foxes came in.

One night (after some mild intoxication) I went out at about 10pm to
shut the rabbit in its hutch. Later, the dogs wanted to do their
business so I let them out and went back to my spliffs and kid brother's
Nintendo.

Shortly afterwards I went to shut the back door and found a dead rabbit
on the patio. I thought, "Aw poor rabbit, I wonder where it's come
from?" and then it struck me that it wasn't an escaped rabbit - it was
my brother's. Sure enough I checked its hutch and I hadn't locked it
in, I'd locked it out. I was mortified.

So I had to bury the rabbit. It was pitch black except for a security
light with motion sensor, which kept switching off. I had to dig the
hole while my friend waved her arms to keep the light on.

We went back inside and resumed our Nintending to take my mind off it.

Some time around midnight, I let the dogs out again. When I went to let
them back in again the dead rabbit was back on the patio just as it had
been before. It really freaked me out! (Dope didn't help, I suppose)
The dog had dug it up, and we had to bury it all over again.

That was bad enough, I can't imagine how horrified I'd be if I ran
something over.

Cheers,
Janean