[kj] My post-Y2K Top 10

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 4 18:03:24 EDT 2007

This one was/is hard for me. I like a lot of bands that started before
2000 but are still going, so here they are w/ URL links for more info:

1. _TRAGEDY_ -- Dark hardcore, you could say gloomcore, haa inspired
sub-sub-sub genre called "Tragi-core" coined by MRR writer Al Quint and
some other writers (http://www.scenepointblank.com/reviews/849)

2. _PESD_ - This is industrial punk that mixes Killing Joke with
Siekkiera and even Lard or Ministry but still retains a gritty hardcore
feel. From Poland. Just excellent stuff, can't recommend it enough to
Jokesters:
http://www.strangereaction.com/2006/11/14/pesd-politikarepoizonekurvae/
(There are 3 mp3 samples there)

3. _OPERATION S_ -- There's just something about this Paris, France
lo-fi garage new wave band w/ fem vox that kicks SO much ass:
http://www.myspace.com/sexesubversionsuicide

4. _LOST SOUNDS_ -- This Memphis, TN, band began in 1999, is that okay?
Ambitious attempt by US garage punks to mix 45 Grave-like L.A. deathrock
w/ creepy 60s Farfisa organs swirling around, mixed with black metal
like Emperor, a little goth, and later w/ Devo & Wire influences. The
1st LP, _Memphis is Dead_ is seminal. If you like early LA deathrock
like TSOL, 45 Grave, Superheroines, Eva O, and dark psychedelic 60s
garage, I think you will like this! (Only official Lost Sounds video, of
"Memphis is Dead," is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3-otr2DIBE
<-- not representative of entire oeuvre, but a good video.)

5. _CAREER SUICIDE_ -- (http://www.careersuicide.net/)

6. _JAY REATARD_ -- Great solo stuff
(http://www.myspace.com/jayreatard <-- his best songs are not on this
MySpace page)

7. _WORLD BURNS TO DEATH_ -- Our decade's answer to the legacy of
Poison Idea, GISM, Negative Approach, and Minor Threat. From Austin, TX.
Just played reunion show with The Dicks in Austin last week.
(http://www.aversionline.com/reviews/1325/)

8. _SUBURBAN DEATH MACHINE_ - Fear meets The Pist meets
black-as-your-soul, filthy, early Black Flag angst:
http://www.myspace.com/suburbandeathmachine

9. _THE COMPLICATIONS_ - mid-tempo Killing Joke-meets-Motorhead post
punk from Quebec, named after a KJ song: http://www.complications.ca/

10. _MISS ALEX WHITE & the RED ORCESTRA_ - only one s/t LP under this
name and that's the one to get. One song is like early Pretenders,
another like UXA, another like early Siouxsie -- all updated and with a
garagey feel. Great voice:
(http://www.myspace.com/missalexwhitetheredorchestra <-- "In a Hole" in
the song to check out there -- total Prtenders vibe to me.)

Anyway my Top 10 post-2000 picks for now,

-Oliver