[kj] Top 10, post-Y2K

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 4 17:14:51 EDT 2007

Another band sorta like Interpol that I think is yet another "throwback"
band is ... SHE WANTS REVENGE. Joy Division throwback, that is. Even
some of the song titles.

Embarrassing confession: I actually dug this album when I saw
way-advanced copies of it floating around Soulseek about a year before
its official release. I was like, "Wow, this is like Joy Division meets
Sisters of Mercy." (That is, one song is like Joy Division, another like
Sisters of Mercy, but it all sorta worked.) Then the LP officially came
out and the album art was TERRIBLE (what is it, like an American Apparel
ad outtake or some MySpace photo of a girl's ass in her white cotton
undies? What the hell? I expected a cover that was mostly black with
some stormy clouds or simply white line art ror something,
Bauhaus-style) and it was carried at Target! That blew me away. Still, I
enjoyed it.

Just don't tell anyone that.

-Oliver