[kj] OT: Queen (was Top Ten Bands)

Janean Lancaster Janean.Lancaster at hopwood.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 09:03:08 EDT 2007

Bit late on this but couldn't resist the Queen thread. I loved Queen
when I was 11 or 12 - wish I'd got to see them. They got me to
appreciate rock guitar, up until then I only liked electronic music and
pop.

Anyway, I still think their first 2 albums are fantastic but then things
started getting patchy with Leroy Brown off Sheer Heart Attack. Still
like that album though and Night at the Opera. Rhapsody's still good,
just a shame I've heard it to death.

Day at the Races was boring except the singles, the albums got patchier
until Kind of Magic which was just fucking abysmal from start to finish.
After that even the singles were shit.

Top Ten in no order:

White Queen
Father to Son
Funny How Love Is
March of the Black Queen
She Makes Me
Lap of the Gods Revisited
Great King Rat
Son and Daughter
Brighton Rock
Death on Two Legs

Brian May wrote some bloody good stuff. The acoustic guitar solo bit on
White Queen is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. How
the same man went on to subject us to Driven By You is beyond me.
[Shudder.]

Cheers,
Janean