[kj] Top 10 and the "throwback" era

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 2 03:05:02 EDT 2007

Also, another note on this topic that we're in the 'throwback era' of
music: This YouTube video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0yJpaI3v4U
-- has Ian MacKaye (Fugazi/Minor Threat/Dischord Records) essentially
saying he has never watched the _American Hardcore_ movie, has never
read the book, doesn't read any of the retrospectives of the '76 -
'87-ish era of punk/post-punk/hardcore, doesn't want to but may some
day, they all seem to be written by mainly white males in their 30s and
40s and are sort of indirectly giving the message to young kids: "Wow,
you guys really missed the boat -- sorry!" (Paraphrase.)

The YouTube vid is actually an interview on the Internet-only TV show
"Soft Focus," hosted by Ian Svenonius, singer of Nation of Ulysses (who
made the really great early 90s aggressive punk album _13 Point Program
to Destroy America_, produced by MacKaye -- what a coincidence!) and
seems to have patterned his faux talk show on a kind of 70s
European/French philosophical, Situationist-y kind of public access
program, with himself in a kind of Serge Gainsbourg-meets-Sartre role as
Socratic philosopher. In front of a live audience in Wash DC. Amusing.

They discuss _American Hardcore_ and if Dead Kennedys' political
predictions have come true, etc.

-Oliver