[kj] Top 10 and the "throwback" era

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 2 00:25:58 EDT 2007

Leigh,

Oddly, a friend and I -- well, an online "friend," have never met him in
person -- were discussing exactly how in the mid-1990s it seemed like
music began to enter a period of recapitulation and reformulation that
hasn't let up since. I've read his blog for awhile and we got the
discussion started over this entry of hi, but via email:
http://redstateson.blogspot.com/2007/03/doll-play.html [His blog is
called Red State Son.]

In it, he says: "Claim that any or all art forms have stopped evolving,
or have simply died, and dozens of people will say you're full of shit
-- which you may well be. I certainly don't discount that possibility in
my case. There's plenty of creative expression that I've not seen or am
completely ignorant of, and many of you, responding to my
"Post-Meta-Feta" post, have been kind enough to school my aging ass on
what you consider to be cutting, or at least interesting, musical and
comedic efforts. [...] The other day, while scrolling about, I came
across some 15-year-old kid's complaint that he has no contemporary
musical influences to inspire him; that everything is by-the-numbers
safe and ready for mass consumption. The kid wished that he was born in
the '60s so that he could've experienced the original punk and new wave
bands in real time, and not as someone else's nostalgia." [&c.]

-Oliver

Leigh Newton wrote:

> I feel like the throwback era started around the early to mid 90s and hasn't let up yet.

> Leigh

>>> from you all, I do get the feeling that most of the stuff is 80?s

>>> music. What about today?s bands?