[kj] RE: Who is Killing Joke's closest relative? sticking my neck out

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 25 22:44:19 EDT 2006

Killing Joke and Joy Division, two of the all-time greats. What's
mind-blowing is KJ are still treading uncharted musical territory and
refuse to remain irrelevant, one of the reasons I love them.

Maybe a problem in finding Killing Joke's closest "relatives" is because
there are different sounds during different "eras" of KJ.

I'd phrase it this way:

*****KILLING JOKE era 1  -- 1978/79 - 1982*****

Gang of Four
Joy Division
The Pop Group
UK Decay (I still insist on this)
The Ex

There is also some latent Amebix in there, a vastly underrated band. The
Kj song "The Wait" is a blueprint for much of what Amebix do.

****KILLING JOKE era 2  bulk of the 80s****

Darker new romantic stuff--
The Cure
Siouxsie
Specimen
Coma (Japanese band)
--some others but drawing a blank

***Pandemonium Era****

Ministry
Lard
Pigface

****Current 2003 s/t era and Hosannas era *****

Motorhead (justc heck out "This Tribal Antidote and the title track)
Venom (again, compare title song "Hosannas" w/ venom's "Sons of Satan"
of their "Wlecome to Hell debut LP)
Amebix
Axegrinder
Ministry and KMFDM
Zygote
Tragedy

My fave Killing Joke stuff is the '79 - '82 stuff, and everything from
2003 'til now. The stuff in between is patchy.

Cheers,
-Oliver