[kj] Democracy drumming........damn right!!!!!

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 09:21:54 EDT 2006

>From Wikipedia

1992-1996

A Killing Joke anthology, Laugh? I Nearly Bought One!, was released in 1992,
and during its production Geordie was re-acquinted with Youth, who suggested
that they reform the band with himself back on bass. That same year two
singles (on cassette and CD) appeared featuring the early songs "Change" and
"Wardance" in several new versions remixed by Youth, by then a very
successful producer.

The reactivated Killing Joke released two strong and well-received albums,
Pandemonium and Democracy, which saw the band shift back to the simpler
arrangments of their first two albums. Pandemonium (1994) mixed their
signature sound with dance beats and loops and provided Killing Joke with a
memorable Top of the Pops performance for the single 'Millennium', which was
a UK Top 30 hit. Democracy (1996) successfully introduced acoustic guitar
into the mix, as well as adopting more of a "live band" sound again. Much of
Pandemonium and all of Democracy featured session drummer Geoff Dugmore. He
also played live with the band throughout this era. Youth bowed out of live
performance early in the Democracy tour and was replaced by Troy Gregory, ex
Prong.

Coleman had produced the 1993 debut album Churn by the New Zealand Band
Shihad and Shihad drummer Tom Larkin played drums on some of the songs on
Pandemonium. However, relations later soured between Coleman and Shihad due
to a dispute over Coleman's production fee for Churn, and the fact that
Shihad considered him a "megalomaniac". Shihad's second album, 1995's
Killjoy, includes two songs about Coleman and the dispute: Bitter and You
Again. Coleman has also made a number of disparaging remarks about Shihad in
the media. Shihad singer and guitarist Jon Toogood says his band have put
the dispute behind them, however a song was recorded by Shihad called
"Killing Jaz".