[kj] Jaz Straw - veils/chastity belts/dark ages

Juliet Pleming price-pleming at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 09:53:57 EDT 2006

Yes, I will continue to support you on this one Ade,

I agree totally. We have to be careful when interacting with other
cultures because a lot of communication is based on having a shared
background, and involves more than language. There are a lot of unspoken
gestures etc. However, when someone from the outside enters a dominant
culture, the burden should be on them to fit into the prevailing
culture. Sure, they don't have to let go of their own culture altogether
and peripherally other cultures can enrich a dominant culture. But the
subculture is something to share with other people of the same culture
and not necessarily something to force onto others. I think it's all the
wrong way round at the moment with our culture bending over backward to
accommodate the intricacies of others. The burden is on THEM if they
want to join our culture they should be the ones to learn and take part
in our culture.

And, I do think it is oppressive for women to have to wear veils, and it
does smack of the dark ages when men locked women in chastity belts. It
is a practice based on ignorance and fear. Just because the women in
that culture have internalized the idea to the extent that they believe
it makes them safer, doesn't make it right. There is a well known
phenomenon where those who are oppressed take on the values of the
oppressor and internalize the belief and learn to believe it is for
their own good.

Lots of African women gladly go for circumcision and have their
clitorises cut out. No man will marry them otherwise. They don't think
of it in terms of having to do it because of that though. They
internalize the belief so much that they think that somehow they are
unclean unless they are butchered.

I have used that example again but there are plently of others I could
use.

Juliet