[kj] OT To veil or not to veil to no avail

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 12 03:48:10 EDT 2006

A precursor to dismantling them?

Dave Noonan <noonan.hq at ntlworld.com> wrote:  Late as ever into this discussion, but this has me vexed; I think this is an aspect of multi-centralism that for my money is being exercised in a provocative way – testing the essence of ‘western’ freedoms, almost as a precursor to dismantling them. Personally I have grown up with the need to ‘see’ the person I am talking to, just as I would think it utterly rude and provoking if someone were to present themselves to me in a ski mask under the pretence that this was what ‘they liked to wear’ and who refused to expose themselves facially, I find it insulting and suspicious that a person would cover their face when talking to me. Would this argument be the same if Muslim men were covering their faces and walking the streets in England??? A hundred years of progress for women's rights is being undone behind a barrier of ‘correctness’ - Straw is right in my opinion to raise the issue and those who say we should wear what we want to
 wear...how naïve! Over centuries we have established protocols that are rooted in common sense, they have evolved to where we are now and yet at a stroke we are on the verge of stepping back a 1,000 years. And they say that those who forget their past are condemned to repeat it...there may be a lot wrong with contemporary society, but we have achieved much and may it continue to move forward and not back.

Dave
Gathering mailing list
Gathering at misera.net

http://www.flipsidemovies.com