[kj] OT To veil or not to veil to no avail

Dave Noonan noonan.hq at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 11 19:27:34 EDT 2006

Late as ever into this discussion, but this has me vexed; I think this is an
aspect of multi-centralism that for my money is being exercised in a
provocative way ­ testing the essence of Œwestern¹ freedoms, almost as a
precursor to dismantling them. Personally I have grown up with the need to
Œsee¹ the person I am talking to, just as I would think it utterly rude and
provoking if someone were to present themselves to me in a ski mask under
the pretence that this was what Œthey liked to wear¹ and who refused to
expose themselves facially, I find it insulting and suspicious that a person
would cover their face when talking to me. Would this argument be the same
if Muslim men were covering their faces and walking the streets in
England??? A hundred years of progress for women's rights is being undone
behind a barrier of Œcorrectness¹ - Straw is right in my opinion to raise
the issue and those who say we should wear what we want to wear...how naïve!
Over centuries we have established protocols that are rooted in common
sense, they have evolved to where we are now and yet at a stroke we are on
the verge of stepping back a 1,000 years. And they say that those who forget
their past are condemned to repeat it...there may be a lot wrong with
contemporary society, but we have achieved much and may it continue to move
forward and not back.

Dave
Leeds